Norton 360 FAQs
Here are the most common questions and answers users look for, prior buying NORTON 360. Scroll down and you will find very highly valued information.
1. Can Norton 360 be installed on both Windows Vista and Windows XP?
Yes, Norton 360 is compatible with both versions of Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) as well as the 32-bit version of Windows XP. Norton 360 cannot, however, be installed on any Windows operating systems older than Windows XP.
2. Will Norton 360 work with Windows 7?
Absolutely, Norton 360 (version 4.0) can be installed on, and will work great with Windows 7.
3. Are 1 year subscriptions the longest offered by Norton360?
No, in addition to the 1 year subscription packages, Norton 360 is available in 2 or 3 year protection plans as well.
4. Are the longer subscription plans (2 or 3 years) a better buy than the 1 year subscription plan?
Yes, purchasing a 2 or 3 year subscription will generally be more affordable than renewing annual subscriptions each year. In addition, there are several promotional coupons available which could make the initial cost of a longer subscription plan that much more affordable.
5. Is additional storage space for Norton 360 online backup available for purchase?
6. Can I install Norton 360 on more than one computer?
Yes, the basic Norton 360 subscription allows you to install the software on up to 3 computers. If you need more protection, however, Norton 360 is also available in 5 and 10 user packs.
7. If I already have Norton 360 installed on 3 computers, can I uninstall the product on one of these computers in order to install it on a new computer?
Yes. The basic user license allows you to install Norton 360 on three separate computers at any given time. To install the program on a new computer without paying for an additional license, you must first uninstall the program from one of your existing computers.
See: Norton 360 Installation Procedure
8. How do I go about removing an older or damaged Norton product before installing my new software?
The easiest way to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product is to download and use the Norton Removal Tool. Once the old or damaged product is removed, simply follow the installation instructions included with your new Norton product.
9. Can both Norton 360 version 4.0 and Norton Internet Security 2010 be installed together as a way to maximize my online protection?
No, this is not possible, as both of these products share the same program to perform anti-malware scans. If you attempt to install either Norton 360 or Norton Internet Security 2010 after previously installing either of these programs, the attempt to install the second program will fail.
If you feel you need added security, one option is to run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, an on-demand program made available by Microsoft on the first Tuesday of each month and designed to seek out rootkits and other malware applications.
10. What’s the better program: Microsoft Security Essentials or Norton 360 v 4.0?
This answer to this question depends on whether you’re looking for maximum protection or affordability. Norton 360 offers superior antivirus protection, however you will need to pay a renewal fee each time the subscription expires. Microsoft Security Essentials, on the other hand, is 100% free, and while this program does offer some very basic protection, it is not nearly as sophisticated or as comprehensive as Norton 360.
11. I want to reinstall Norton 360, but I cannot locate my product key. What do I do?
All Norton products made after 2006 include a feature called Norton Account. Among other functions, Norton Account stores your product key on a Symantec server for easy retrieval should your product key become lost or misplaced.
12. My credentials—name, email, password—for my old Norton software became lost. Am I still allowed to purchase Norton 360 and start a new account?
Absolutely you can. When you purchase a newer version of Norton 360, one of the options you have is to start from scratch with a new account.
13. I currently have Norton 360 protection on my Windows XP computer, but I’m considering adding Windows 7 using VirtualBox. Would I be able to install Norton 360 for Windows 7 as well?
Using VirtualBox is akin to having a second computer, therefore, there should be no problems installing a second version of Norton 360.
14. I want to install Norton 360 on another computer but I lost the installation CD. I do have the product key I obtained from Norton Account, but how do I gain access to the installation file?
These situations are very common; however, there is a solution. You can still install Norton 360 by going to the Symantec site, Norton.com, and clicking the Customer Service link. Once there, you will need to follow these steps:
• Find and click the link entitled Norton Products Support
• Click the Install and Uninstall tab
• Search for, and select the applicable product and version
• Now, click on the link tab that says Downloading Norton 360 and select the option “I want to re-download my Norton product.”
• Select and save the product onto your computer and follow the installation instructions.
15. Does Norton 360 also come as a 64-bit product?
Unfortunately, Norton 360 is only available as a 32-bit installation.
16. Does Norton 360 provide updates and patches free of cost?
Yes, all Norton 360 products include free updates and security patches as long as the subscription remains valid.
17. Can Norton 360 run simultaneously with other antivirus, anti-spyware or firewall programs?
The Symantec Corporation, makers of Norton 360, recommends that users run no other antivirus-type products simultaneously with Norton 360. Not only are these products redundant and unnecessary, they may also cause conflicts with Norton 360 and increase computer instability.
18. Are there other Symantec products compatible with Norton 360?
Not all Symantec products can be run simultaneously with Norton 360, but the few
Symantec products which are compatible include:
• Norton Ghost
• Norton Save & Restore
• Norton GoBack 4.0
You can use each these four while having installed norton 360 without the fear of malfunctioning.
19. What are the system requirements for
installing and running Norton 360?
The system requirements for
Norton 360 installation include:
• Processor speed of at least 300-MHz
• A minimum of 256 MB of RAM
• 300 MB of available hard disk space
Norton 360 is designed to run on all Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 operating systems.
20. I have a coupon for Norton 360. How do I use it?
Discounts from coupons are applied after a Norton product is selected and added to the cart. You will have the option to enter a promotional coupon, and if that code is valid, you’ll receive an instant discount. You can find coupons for Symantec’s products on our Norton coupon page.
21. Does Norton 360 4.0 use a lot of system resources and will it slow down my PC?
Unlike other antivirus programs, Norton will not slow the speed of your computer, and in many cases will actually improve your speed. To explain how this works, here are some general facts about Norton 360:
Norton is one of the premier names in computer protection, providing around-the-clock protection for all your online activities. Even better, Norton 360 is fast and boasts the following impressive stats:
• Startup times as fast as a minute or less.
• Full scans lasting a mere 3 minutes.
• At its peak, the program uses less than 10 MB of memory.
• Updates and definitions provided every 5-15 minutes for added security.
• Easy installation and set-up.
• Optimizes PC performance by turning off unnecessary programs
22. I already have Norton 360 do I need Symantec’s Endpoint Protection?
Since Norton 360 is an all-in-one internet security, registry cleaning and online backup program you are NOT going to need the endpoint protection. It’s sufficient on its own.
23. Is Norton Online Backup Enough Space?
The simple version of the product gives you 2Gb of cloud storage which is more than enough if you want to backup word documents, spreadsheets, databases and other files. Usually, these are professional files you want not only to save online but also have remoted access; and this is a crucial feature of the software. For users who want to store more than just docs and pdfs, but also their photos and videos, Norton 360 Premier gives 25Gb of storage.
Written by Steven